Sunday, May 6, 2012

How much can I overclock my Radeon 4650 512MB DDR2 video card, safely?

It came with software for overclocking, so I guess they expect people to do this, but I don't know how much I can overclock without drastically shortening the video card's life. Starts out with a 600mhz GPU speed and 400mhz memory speed. Fan speed can also be controlled and starts at 50%.|||Do not make mistake and directly overclock your card by 50 MHZ. This is common mistake made by many people. Also many people ask what is safe overclock range for my card? There is no particular answer to this question. Every card is different and has different overclocking potential. Follow the following procedure to get the best overclock with your card with what cooling you have for now.



1. Increase your core and memory speeds by 5 to 10mhz each at most at a time.

2. After you up the clock speed run a program that will stress the card...I use ATITOOL....http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php…

3. If you don't see any screen corruptions, small black triangles, white or black dots and artifacts then it means that clock speed is stable.....

4. Again increase your clock speeds by 5 to 10mhz and again run the ATITOOL.....

5. Keep doing this until you get system errors or artifacts/white-black dots, screen corruption. This is the absolute limit of your card for core speed......

6. When you see these symptoms reduce your clock speed by 10 Mhz.

7. Now try just overclocking RAM(memory) and not the core again in steps of 5 to 10mhz until you get artifacts or above symptoms.

8. when you get artifacts again reduce the memory speed by 10Mhz and this is your final safest settings.

9. Always run your card at least 10Mhz slower than the speeds at which you get artifacts.



need extra cooling?

Its not necessary but recommended. Have a good airflow in your case. A fan blowing air directly on card always helps.You can mod the side panel if necessary to mount a 80mm to 120mm fan if you want....





Scott|||I usually increase by 5-10Mhz until I start to see artifacts on my screen while my GPU is under load, then I know my GPU's OC limit and so I back it down a bit. It's basically a trial and error type of deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment