Friday, May 4, 2012

How do I change My BIOS so it uses my video card insted of stock?

My computer Uses on Board graphics and I need to know how to change my BIOS so that it refers to my PCI video card instead of my On board card. I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that uses Windows XP SP2|||Most of the time, you never have to change it in BIOS. I'll include both methods.



First try this one. Put the PCI card in, leave the display plugged in the onboard, and start up the comp. Install the drivers for the PCI card. Then right click my computer, properties, disable your onboard graphics, DO NOT UNINSTALL IT.



When you reboot, plug the monitor into the PCI card, and update its drivers. Done



If that doesnt work. when your computer turns on, press Delete, or F2.. to enter Bios, the screen should prompt you what to press.



Once in Bios, look for anything that says graphics adapter, or primary display. If it mentions onboard display, disable it. If it says primary display, select PCI.



Bios very rarely causes problems installed a new graphics card, the first technique I gave you works 99.9% of the time.



Good luck



EDIT: change a jumper setting on the motherboard for a graphics card? I never once heard of this anywhere ever. Please send me a link, and make sure the computer is more recent than 1995. Don't touch jumpers or bios for this problem, these people never installed video cards before.|||Turn off the computer, connect the monitor to the new video card, turn on the computer. It should boot to the new video card. If not, there may be a conflict and you may need to disable the onboard card in the bios.



MAKE sure not to turn the computer back on until the monitor is connected to the correct video card. Some systems look for the monitor to determine which card to use.|||Depending of the manufacturer the switch could be an actual jumper on the motherboard or a setting in the BIOS/CMOS.



Refer to your user manual for help with this as Dell does not only use 1 motherboard in the Dimension series. Search Dell's site using your PC's ID # to get specific information about your setup and documentation for it.|||When I installed my video card all I did was to download the driver. Then plug your monitor into the video card instead of the motherboard.|||I don't think you have to use BIOS. If you use Device Manager you could just disable your stock card so the only available one is your PCI one.

No comments:

Post a Comment